Need to straighten a wall up to vertical.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help steer me in the right direction..

I assume this is a builder's query, so I put it in this folder, feel free to move it to a more relevant area if this is not the case.

I have a flat on the middle floor of a three floor house and my front room looks something like this: (familiar to most of you I'm sure)
Untitled-1.png

The fireplace between the alcoves at the top was removed before I moved in and now I wish to fit a hidden storage system from wall to wall, like so:
Untitled-2.png

Now, here is my problem. The wall on the far right slopes into the room as it rises.
I've drawn a diagram here:
Untitled-3.png

This is going to prove difficult making the front of the unit run flush to the wall. The wall is solid; my bedroom lies on the other side of it. It runs about 2/3rds of the way down the room to (and above) the doorway. The wall on the other side of the door (the bottom right hand quarter of the top image) is a stud, I believe.

I wonder if you could tell me what my options are. I may attempt it myself or have it fixed professionally, but I just need to know what can be done at this point, before I start anything else.

Would it be possible (or make sense) to wear down the surface near the top until it is even all the way up? Or perhaps to build up the wall near the bottom to achieve the same result.

Also, is this a common problem and if so how is it referred to? So that I can find the best profession for the job.

Thanks, I'll try and answer any questions if you have them.

Sponsored Links
You have to chamfer the end panel to the same angle as the wall, so that it fits flush

Thanks, I considered that, but won't it affect the unit doors that I hang against that wall?

No.

You will have the door frame which you fix plumb, and then a cover piece section/architrave which covers the frame/wall junction

Sponsored Links
Your best bet, is to straighten the wall by adding plaster, if you use any other system it will irritate you and everyone else who looks at it.

Have you put a straight edge up the wall to determine how far out of plumb it actually is, if so how much is it?
And weather it gets better or worse as you move along the wall.

Unfortunatley no house is perfect but most mister meaners aren't even noticed till you take a good look. You only really have two options with this. You can work with the wall or rectify it. In my opinion Woody has the most reasonable answer it's certainly the route most tradesman would go. Obviously you will always see the problem but I doubt most others will.
To rectify the wall you need a plasterer to level it out or strip the wall back to it's bear block/brick work then plaster board it and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back