Bedroom window HMO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter's recently moved into a 'student house', otherwise known as an HMO (House in muliple Occupancy)

I believe the bedroom window should have a minimum opening to avail escape in the event of fire.

It is a PVC frame with transom opening, and the normal type of hinge that enables cleaning the outside of the glass.

This means the maximum opening is 13 inches and it's nearly seven foot off the floor.

Can anyone tell me, is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
other factors, may include location of fire escape in building in relation to her room and would then eliminate the need for an accessible window.

Thanks for the reply.
It's first-floor rear, in a standard terrace house.
No fire-escape as such. Just a window in each bedroom and bathroom with small transoms.

Might be worth having a word with local building control to see if property is suitable to be let as such,not fully up to spec on definitions for rental. of this type. only current regs for changes that would apply, if alterations were made.

Sponsored Links
If the room has a fire door, then their is no need for a fire escape in the window.

A fire escape window needs to have an opening of at least 0.33sq m.

If the room has a fire door, then their is no need for a fire escape in the window.

Interesting fact... and perhaps another topic!

There is a fire door. Unfortunately it's hung on the original tiny door frame that just about catches a couple of screws in the hinges.
The intumescent strips on the door are visible on the inside of the room.
I just hope that they would do their job if called upon in the unfortunate event of a fire.

Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine as they expand, they would have the effect of pushing the door off it's hinges!
Not a pleasant thought.

There is a specific requirement for a self closing fire door and an protected escape route for HMO's such as this.

And its not just the door, but the doorset ie door lining (frame) too which should be fire resisting.

There should also be fire warning system and signage to designate the escape route.

If there are any concerns, then its the EHO (Environmental Health Officer)at the council who would investigate HMO's

There is a specific requirement for a self closing fire door and an protected escape route for HMO's such as this.

And its not just the door, but the doorset ie door lining (frame) too which should be fire resisting.

There should also be fire warning system and signage to designate the escape route.

If there are any concerns, then its the EHO (Environmental Health Officer)at the council who would investigate HMO's

EHO ? thats what I like about this site you can learn some thing new every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back