retaining wall help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise.
I shall try to describe the site. Our house is in a dip. We have a long driveway to the left of the house. to the left of the drive is an embankment which rises at approx 40 degrees+ up to some houses set back a further 20 metres on the top of the embankment. The slope is about 15 metres long from top to bottom and 42 metres long . Its NOT retained and consists of post war demolition rubble from the blitz. The bank is very stable and has not budged an inch in the 8 years the house has been built. You cannot dig into it without hitting bricks and the like. Indeed I would have thought that it would have been looked at prior to planning permission being granted.
At the closest end to the house the wall needs to be no more than 600mm high. it will go past the house at not more than 1 metre high. and then rise up to a maximum of 1.7 metres {14 metres long} high at the end where my stable block has already been built into the bank.

At the 1.7 metre end I was thinking of using 215 x 440 x 100 HD blocks laid flat to give a wall thickness of 215mm. then we will face this off with ANSTONE split faced 440 x 215 x 100mm buff faced block. Total wall thickness then some 340mm. We will batter {slope the wall back in this area by 10 degrees.
I intend putting a footing in along the concrete driveway. for the 14 metre 1.7 high run of 600 wide x 400mm? concrete.
I will obviuosly use 100mm weep holes and back fill the wall with 20mm gravel.
It is not going to retain much more weight than the gravel really. Even after ALL the deluges we have the slope shows no erosion {trees/ grassed by the way. and seems to drain easily.

Am I using the right approach. I have a bricklayer booked and need to make sure I have the correct blocks etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds ok ish.

you would be wise to incorporate some 90 degree changes in direction in order for the wall to gain strength without thickness.

i would want the foundation to be at least 300mm wider than the wall, giving a 150mm projection beyond both the inner and outer face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back