Rhododendron loosing its leaves ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Rhododendron in a large pot which we've had for some 5 years. It is potted with the recommended compost for these plants and drainage at the base.

Recently all the lower leaves are turning yellow/brown and are dropping off. The plant has been very healthy full of leaves and flowers, and is showing signs of a second show of buds.

Thinking it may be the wet weather we've had, I've moved the pot to an area where its sheltered from any further wet weather.

But the leaves are still dropping. Would this be a lack of Iron. ??

Any Ideas please ????

thanks

Sponsored Links
Maybe autum is on the way :LOL:
Seriously though It could be a lack of acid in the soil, The PH should be about 4.5-5.5
I think, (please check this out first)my grandad used to put a bit of lime in the soil around them. You can get Ericaceae feed from most garden centres.

Tony

utterly - 5 years in the same pot - root-bound maybe? Ease it out to check (roll the pot onto its side & pull - save doing your back in by upwards lifting). Maybe time to upgrade the size, use new Ericaceous Compost. If not pot-bound follow Outlaw's advice with an Ericaceous feed - have you been giving it this stuff regularly in the past?

Classic symptom of magnesium deficiency, certainly a re pot is a good idea, also, water with rain water with 3-4 tablespoons of epsom salts should help.

eek!! Lime no, no, no !!!

Sponsored Links
I think, (please check this out first)my grandad used to put a bit of lime in the soil around them.
Tony

I thought it was wrong Acid/Lime ?? Lime is alkaline.

Thanks all for the advice given.

My wife went to the local Garden centre and they told her the soil is spent of all the goodness, so it needs new soil. which we shall do tomorrow.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back