Excessive wear on masonry bits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody.

I have tried to drill a 6.5 mm hole in a 18 x 9 x 4.5 block in an outside garden wall to fit rawlplugs.

I was using a rotary impact hammer drill fitted with a 6.5 mm masonry bit.
The bit is manufactured by Pro Drill.

Having drilled two holes I found that the tip on the bit was totally worn away. I then used another similar bit and in this case the tip was worn away before I had succeeded in drilling the hole.

Perhaps I am using an incorrect bit. The cost of the bit in UK currency was approximately £1.50.

Could someone please give me some advice!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Spend a few quid more and get a decent bit!
I would say somewhere around the £5 mark should get you a fairly good one.

For a regular hammer drill I'd suggest the Dewalt Extreme 2 bits. They have served me well. Although I tend to use the SDS on anything that puts up any sort of resistance now :LOL:

@ <neo> and neds

Many thanks for your advice.
Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've used cheapies no problem. And they last for many holes not just one or two

The thing to do is use a slow speed, and don't press on hard - let the drill do the work

My experience has been the same as Woody's. I use the same technique too and have never had a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back