Help required...damp concrete, reclaimed parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys wondered if any of you can help?

First things 1st, basically taken up an old and pretty horrible laminate floor in the hallway (approx 16 sq yrds) and suprise suprise theres carpet still under there. we've been in the house for 6 yrs so its been there a lot longer than that !.

Taken up the carpet and the old carpet and it seems they've screed the floor before putting this lot down and some,e of the sreed had come up with the carpet. On closer inspection most of the screed is coming up as its not bonded to the concrete any longer.

Weve now taken up all the old screed which didnt take long at all, it just scraped up with a yard brush.

The main question i have is to do with the concrete thats left behind. It seems sound with no cracks or chunks missing but you can dig it out quite easy with a trowel and is a little "powdery". It also feels damp too.
What im planning on putting back is a reclaimed maple parquet floor in blocks. Obviously i can lay these down on the damp concrete.

Do i either a) put a liquid sealer of some sort down and then ply over and set parquet to that? or b) put physical DPM down and then board? or c) put a liquid DPM and then set parquet straight to that?

can any one help? im sure im not the only one to come up against a nasty floor when taking up old floor coverings!!

Your guys help much appreciated

Thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Matty !
After id posted last night, i've a quick look this morning and all seems to be well in the drying out stakes. Looks like the carpet and laminate was keeping all the moisture in and the floor certainly feels better today.

However i've had a look at the levels and it seem that at one end they have put in some new concrete but you've guessed it, it stands proud by just under 1/4 inch.

This ridge is about 3 feet in to the hall way from wall to wall. i've read from your reply that you'd like to see a liquid DPM and then an acrylic compound. Couple of questions if i can ask?

Im assuming that the liquid DPM has to go down 1st of all? Can you recommend a liquid DPM that will do the job ?
Now theres a step up to the new concrete flooring can i use a self leveling screed on the top of the liquid DPM to even out any hollows/dips and even up to the new slab ie the 1/4 step? Or does the acrylic compound do the job of leveling out? If the arcylic compound does these jobs, can you please reccomend one for me please?

Sorry for all the questions and appreciate all the help.

Matt

you are going to need DPM prep acrylic. Put this down first where the floor is different heights to try and make smooth. You dont need to do the whole floor at the moment, but i like to get the base as good as possible. Next apply the liquid dpm, next skim over the liquid dpm with a standard acrylic compound, ( prime the dpm first with 131 ) Google Fball for products.

Sponsored Links
Hi matty thanks for the quick reply.
Just one last question . Seeing as the concrete is nice powdery, youve said put the DPM Prep Acrylic down 1st. Seeing as the base isnt brilliant, would you put down any of the 131 1st to give it a really good key?
Reason i ask is that the screed thatw as there last time really didnt stick well from what i can see, so what i dont want to do is go through all the steps youve given me and then not have the bottom layer take very well. Would you do this or is the DPM prep good enough?

Cheers for the site for the products, just had a look and ive got 2 wholesalers in Nottm close to me.
Just checked off the items that youve said and justwant to ensure im gettig the right kit.

DPM Prep Acrylic = Stopgap 900 DPM Prep
Liquid DPM = Stopgap 900
131 = Stopgap P131

Last step you say "Standard Acrylic compound" theres loads !!!!
Im after a quick drying one as its in a hallway and obviously i need to get around the ground floor. Is the stopgap rapid 100 anygood or can you suggest any of them?

I just want to say a big thanks for the advice, fairly good at DIY but when it comes to something liek this you can really cock it up and just wanted to say cheers

Thanks

Matt

Liquid DPM = Stopgap 900

You mean F75! (always use two coats)

Fball say dont prime for the dpm prep! But this is a new system and i know there are some problems when not priming!

I would advice you prime with 131 at 4/1 mix on dusty concrete and do a full screed after with acrylic ( i use 200 acrylic for the prep and the finish not the dpm prep acrylic, i will leave it up to you which you use. ) The reason why i say do a full screed is to save on the very expensive epoxy dpm. A dusty floor will suck in loads and you may find you end up using double/triple what it says it does on the tin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back