Britony Combi 100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a 3 year old Britony Combi. It works fine in Central Heating Mode but in Hot water mode the boiler sounds like a hammer drill going off, it is extremely noisy. I have tried adding chemicals to silence the boiler but this does not work.
Any ideas please :p

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
is the hot water still hot ? :D

Yes the water is hot but the boiler is extremely noisy, it sounds just like a hammer drill.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
has it always done it or just recently all hw taps or some ? :D

The problem started a couple of months ago and has steadily got worse. The noise happens on all hot water taps and gets worse if you slow the flow down to get hotter water. :p

my first shot is diverter valve (plastic c**p)
it sounds like c**p in the h/e but should do it in heating as well
i go for the first cos they dont last
wait for some more replys :D

turn on the hot water and then wait for it to make the noise. turn the gas off (at the boiler service cock or the meter). if the noise stops almost instantly then it's a fouled/scaled heat exchanger.

weargas said:
turn on the hot water and then wait for it to make the noise. turn the gas off (at the boiler service cock or the meter). if the noise stops almost instantly then it's a fouled/scaled heat exchanger.

Thanks for all the bits of advice, I will try it out and report back. :p

kevplumb said:
my first shot is diverter valve (plastic c**p)
it sounds like c**p in the h/e but should do it in heating as well
i go for the first cos they dont last
wait for some more replys :D

Thanks for the advice, I will report back!. :p

Thanks for the advice. I ran the hot water as suggested and the noise started up as per usual, I then shut off the gas and the noise stopped instantly. From what you suggested it must be the heat exchanger. How much for a new one? Any other remedy? Thanks. :p

I have cleansed the system and the boiler is now quiet. Thanks for the advice. :p

Glad its fixed, but...

If its 3 years old it might not be modulating...mine is a Britony 80 - very similar - and the old PCB did not appear to modulate - just on and off all the time. Probably the reason that relays failed and I ended up replacing the PCB.

The new PCB is quite different and now you can hear the boiler modulating. Also get a little LED show when drawing HW, which was a feature missing before !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back