Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to reduce the cost of building inspection by only have to have those things checked that can't be handled by self-certified tradesmen. What I'm not sure is what has to be handled by building inspectors and what can be done by plumbers/electricians (assume able to self certify) from the following.

1. Break into existing drain (under driveway in garage) and install new pipe to damp course level. (To be done by builder).

2. Install a stack in garage, drill through wall and connect to new downstairs cloakroom. Put in new sink. Run hot and cold to sink, cold to toilet. (All done by plumber).

3. Stud wall to form the new cloakroom

4. Repipe radiators to flow/return from single loop. Install new boiler (electric) and disconnect log-fire back-boiler. (Plumber/electrician)

5. Add new radiator. (Plumber).

Now I know the sparky can do his certs, and I'm sure the plumber can do his if needed - although he's not doing anything major, apart from the new cold water feeds. Can plumbers be self certified?

So that only leaves the drain connection. Will this need inspecting when mid way (ie trench dug and pipe laid) and then again during/after back filling to check it's been done properly (we'll be using road stone not putting clay back!!). Can the drains be "signed off" despite only being finished to damp-course level?

As I have no doubts about the quality of the workmanship from the guys I've got doing the work, my main aim is not to find myself in the situation the previous owner was in where he did a perfectly good job of removing the chimney breast but without building control he's had to put an indemnity on the mortgage. And seeing as the drains will be burried under concrete they'll be the only thing that can't be inspected/fixed at a later date.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Trey,

As I understand it the following will need to be done.

LBC approval for new draing routing, prior to work commencing, then check when trench dug and installed so air & run off test can be complete.
May also want to check when filled in before concreting over.

LBC approval for downstairs cloak room, will be needed prior to work commencing as this is a NEW INSTALLATION.

Cant be 100% sure all above is correct, but would be worth while checking with your LBC in advance anyway. The sooner you get onside with them the better.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back