WICKES conservatory glazing disaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am one of many people who were given faulty glazed units with a WICKES conservatory. mine is hardwood not PVC.

solarglass (st. gobain) have been contracted to do the replacement throughout the country.

i am keen to hear from anyone with the same problem to hear their experiences - how did the repairs turn out, did they get any compensation, etc.

from my experience, the communication has been very poor and it has taken far too long to get it done (i reported the problem in feb this year and am still waiting).

Sponsored Links
well, it takes quite a question not to get any replies in 6 weeks. there are obviously not as many people in the same boat as I thought. :oops:

to update you all anyway, the men are coming to change the glass today and, as there's such a lot of interest I'll let you know how it goes.

sad, isn't it, when you have to reply to your own query. :(

bobb said:
sad, isn't it, when you have to reply to your own query. :(

not really, since your origonal post only asked a question

bobb said:
i am keen to hear from anyone with the same problem to hear their experiences - how did the repairs turn out, did they get any compensation, etc.

and as you also said

bobb said:
there are obviously not as many people in the same boat as I thought.

there may be more people with your / similar problem, but the whole country does not know about DIYnot :cry:

Sponsored Links
thanks breezer and admin for acknowledging my existence.

as you're so interested in my plight I'm going to send you some pictures of the remedial works. (would you be good enough to attach them to this note). on the whole it wasn't bad but they didn't have replacement beading for the french windows so they reused the old ones which they inadvertantly broke.

i didn't notice last night when they finished at 8 p.m. because it was dark but I had a fit when I saw it in the cold light of day.

i will be talking to wickes and solarglass st.gobain first thing monday.

apparently this dodgy glass has affected about 1,000 wickes conservatory customers and the original glass supplier went bust as a consequence of this cock-up.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Just a final note, after getting Solaglas Windowcare back to do the job properly and replace the broken beading, my conservatory, which I bought from Wickes in July 2003 is finally finished :D .

The failed glazing, which I reported in Feb this year, has finally been replaced.

Now to get some compensation from Wickes :evil: .

bobb said:
Now to get some compensation from Wickes :evil: .
Good luck to you, terrible bad workmanship. If you don't get anywhere stick the photo's on your sandwich board and walk up & down in Wickes conservatory aisle area, they may give you money to get rid of you :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back