Leaking Hoover WDM120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our W/M flooded the kitchen on Saturday with water coming out of the door & soap drawer.

From earlier posts I decided to check the level switch, the pipe seemed clear and I could hear the switch operating when I blew through it. I tried the cycle again which it was on (No. 7 40deg_dash) and it again overfilled.

I then tried a No. 2 60 deg cycle which worked fine. I\\\'m now really confused! Any ideas please?

(The rotary switch seems to be making more noise than usual, but I\\\'m not sure that we\\\'re not imagining it now we\\\'re looking for problems, especially with the back & top off.)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
More details needed here. Make and model, age of machine etc.
Some machines have a 2 ( or even 3 ) level pressure switch!!

The machine is a Hoover WDM120 1200 speed 6kg washer/dryer. 3 1/2 years old.

The pressure switch did seem to make two clicks when blowing into it (and two when the air was released)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I was coming round to that conclusion.

Any idea whether it's feasible to change myself? It seems to be in the depths of the machine below the main rotary switch. At first glance it looks like it would be a major stripdown to replace.

I realise you can't visualise the inside of every machine, but I wondered if in general these things tend to be a diy or professional job.

Thanks

two probs, access to it, and is new one the same?

on a hp its on the top side, but the "standard" pressure switch was slightly different, and you had to follow a drawing to connect it right

choice is yours

Thanks for your help anyway - not sure what I'll do yet.

Are you interested in the outcome of what solves the problem?

chippy said:
Thanks for your help anyway - not sure what I'll do yet.

Are you interested in the outcome of what solves the problem?

yes an update thanks

Called out the Hoover Engineer, after giving him the symptoms he quickly homed in on not the pressure switch, but the hose feeding it.

I had already tested it by blowing through it which worked fine, but there was a hole worn through the pipe which was not evident until the m/c was full of water & wet clothes. This weight moved the drum & bent the pipe into a position exposing the hole.

It would have taken me a week to find this problem (if ever) so I'm glad this time I went down the professional route.

Thanks for all your help anyway

if he quickly homed in on the problem, that implies its a common "problem"

I certainly got the feeling it was a known design fault with this machine, although the engineer didn't say as much.

The new hose was more substantial than the original one if that counts for anything.

It may be worthwhile checking after a while to make sure the pipe is not chafing against anything. can also be worthwhile wrapping pipe with thin foam rubber held on with masking tape.( Some manufacturers do this in production).
Its just a shame you had to call the man in. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back