damp new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my two storey extension finished in June. I'm now finding some mould growth on one of the bedroom skirting boards around the top. Is this normal after a build? could it just be all the moisture from the build and all this new insulation preventing it from escaping. I can't see any obvious signs for it?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be getting damp thats for sure. Something is wrong and I would contact the builder.

I take it the bedroom is upstairs? Funny place to get damp.
If its condensation, maybe theres a break in the insulation at that level and the inside wall is getting cold?
Bit hard to guess really... what's the construction?
If it's damp getting in from outside, clearly a fault in the construction.
Photos might help.

I wonder if the builder has used a silicone or mastic caulk at the skirting wall junction and this is allowing mould to feed?

Or has the extension properly dried out yet?

Images would help, as would details of wall construction

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the builder has used a silicone or mastic caulk at the skirting wall junction and this is allowing mould to feed?

Or has the extension properly dried out yet?

Images would help, as would details of wall construction
yes there is caulk where the top of skirting meets wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back