Verge repair - good, bad or just ugly?

Sponsored Links
I have to say I know very little about roofs but it looks like a complete bodge to me and if I'd paid someone to fix the roof I wouldn't be happy with it.

If the ****** who did this are not to busy could you get them to do mine and then i could show people just how not to do it.!

Sponsored Links
Squirt,Squirt......TENNIS ELBOW!! Oh,sorry,my mistake....i thought it was that cream from a can :oops:

Is this just a temporary measure to fill the gap or do they intend to leave it like this???

Ive never seen anything like that before but there is always a first time for everything :eek:

Go on then,put us out of our misery!! Why has this been done?

Im thinking that it probably isnt as bad or sinister as it looks?!? :evil:

Just had another look at the photos and it does look very dodgy and incomplete........the same could be said about the verge!! :cool:

i am less alarmed by the ex'foam as i am about the lack of an under cloak.

does look a bodge though.

foam has its uses, i agree. but i would expect it more as a back-up than something as indiscreet as what we're seeing in this verge.

i could imagine it being useful as a gap filler within some roofing scenarios provided it is used correctly and does not stifle any airflow or promote wicking.

This one's had me thinking about why the foam has been used and my conclusion is this...........I think that this is indeed just a temporary measure to stop water ingress(?) overnight because judging by the photos there is still some work to be done.Am i right in thinking that the verge tiles are going to be stripped to allow for replacement of rotten battens which would allow a dry verge system to be used(?)

Other than that im stumped :oops:

Sorry I should have added that that undercloak and then a skim of mortar is added to make it look "normal".

The issue, is really the use of the expanding foam. The rotten laths are left, the felt not repaired - just squirt the foam in, wedge the undercloak, and then point it up - average of 30mm thickness of mortar .

Now for the surprising bit ... this is actually what has been specified by a LA for about 15,000 of their properties under a planned repair programme intended to rejuvenate roofs - some roofs are about 50-60 years old, others about 30-40 years. I wonder if this will last 60 weeks, let alone 60 years?

The work is being done by a window company! :eek:

****** was my first thought. My next thought was to fling whoever did it off the scaffold, but when I found out I nearly fell off the scaffold myself.

Unbelievable. All those ex-council Clerk of Works will be turning in their graves

That's shocking it really is!

A bloody window company, dear oh dear, it's hard enough to get work at the moment as it is without other trades getting the work.

I really hope this blows up in their faces because it deserves to but of course the losers in this will be the local tax paying residents and the tennants who are likely to suffer water damage in the future

anything that can't be fixed with silicone or expanding foam ain't worth fixing.
ask any window company.....! :LOL:

Bear in mind in 10 or so years the foam will turn to powder. But I suppose if its being mortared over... :confused:

Sorry I should have added that that undercloak and then a skim of mortar is added to make it look "normal".

how, prey tell, do they intend inserting undercloak now that the have squirted foam all over the bedding bricks?

Any updates on this? Have they come back to finish the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back