Strip lighting new bulb not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a long strip bulb that we replaced in our utility room and two of us had to get the bulb in either end onto the prongs..

soon as we did the light didnt work?

It is fixed in properly but im sure its something to do with a small hole on the long light fitting which had a peice of plastic in it?

This seems to have fallen through the hole and is loose???

I have a picture here

View media item 5255
any ideas what to do or how to get this working? as this is quite dark now in this room!!

Sponsored Links
The piece you refer to is the fluorescent starter. If you (firstly turn off the power) remove the lamp, remove the cover from the fitting the starter holder should just clip back in place.
The type of fitting you have appears to be one where you rotate the tube through 90deg to remove/install the lamp.

Did you slide the lamp in the slots and twist 90 degrees?

Yes just done that now, I twisted the bulb in its slots and it clicked round 90 degrees but still no light?

I think it must be something to do with the starter that has fallen through??

Sponsored Links
Try what I said above to fix the starter base, it is advisory to replace the starter when you replace a lamp anyway.
When you install the lamp you need to rotate it 90deg, there is usually a small dimple on the lamp endcap which lines up with the slot when the tube is in the correct orientation.

Ok thanks for this - have now bought 2 different little tubular starter motors for the strip light, which has 2 pins on it...

Can anyone tell me how I go about fitting or fixing this when i go to replace it?

As you can see from the photo the bulb has been fitted and the older starter motor has fallen through the hole. Im not sure i can remove the case? (i suppose you must be able to?)

Never replaced a starter before so any help would be great

You need really to access the starter holder from inside, twist the starter anti clockwise and remove the starter first and the holder bit will then clip in the two holes.

Then to refit the new starter from outside the fitting,
Gently line up the pins and holes, push in slightly and turn clockwise about 60 degrees.

you may need a pic showing more of the fitting.

It looks as though it has no cover, instead the bulk of the fitting comes off leaving just the base.
With the wires STILL connected.

It is possible using long nose pliers to remove that starter and refit the cage into the two holes by working via the hole without removing the fitting,but not easy if you have never done it before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back