Replacing hearth tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the hearth tiles of a Victorian fireplace as they have all cracked and many are missing.

If I use tiles, are there specific tiles and adhesive that need to be used - thinking about the high temperature that will be generated in use.

I was considering just using a piece of marble/slate/limestone or similar, again what would the best adhesive be?

If there is anything else that would be useful I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks for all your help

Jules

Sponsored Links
I have a marble hearth that went in about 15 years ago. A stonemason friend of mine told me at the time that it would would crack but I went ahead and fitted it, partly because I liked it and partly because I got it for free. The fireplace is in the dining room so it was only intended for occasional use but wife liked it and used it a lot so it did crack.
I've just had another fireplace in the house re-tiled. I'm not sure what adhesive the tiler used as I wasn't in when he did it but it I don't think he used special adhesive as he said he doesn't usually do fireplaces, but it seems to be ok. HTH.

jules - the cracked tiles were more likely damaged by dropped fire tools, pokers, tongs, etc. than by heat. These tiles would have been originally set in a mortar bed (maybe even a sand/cement mortar as opposed to a lime mix); this will have become friable/loose or the adhesion has failed, hence the missing tiles. Clean off the old tiles & mortar bed down to the concrete pad. I'd re-tile using salvaged originals from a reclamation yard or as a fall-back, repros (yuk!!). Fix with sand/cement mortar mix or use a proprietary cement-based tile adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back