mould on window sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

The sealant on most of my windows has mould growing on them. What's the best way to remove and then replace this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can clean it off with a fungicide, but it will most likely come back

This occurs when a silicone has been used which has no mould inhibitors, and the spores actually feed off it.

It may be best to remove it and use a sanitary grade silicone or a polysulphide mastic

Most of it will come off with a stanley blade and some quick rubbing with your finder or a dry cloth.

"Silicone eater" from screwfix will do the stubborn bits

But is it just the sealant or do you have water ponding on the cill or on the frame/glass edge too? Are you wiping any condensation up and using air vents etc

If its a wider condensation issue, then try and sort that, and the mould may not take on the silicone so you won't have to renew it

Sponsored Links
Hi. there are water condensing on the rubber between the glass and pvc but as far as i know, there are no moulds growing on it. Although the rubber is dark in colour so i might be mistaken.

There are no moulds on the cill. I'm not sure if there are air vents but it's not draughtproof so i think it's ventilated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back