combi Boiler fan turns on after using colder water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a not so old valliant ecoTech831 combination boiler and every time i use cold water the boiler fan turns on for about 30 seconds. Is this normal?

Also when the heating is on and there is a demand for hot water the heating turns off which means if someone takes a long shower the radiators start to cool off, again is this normal?

Sponsored Links
You have a "dead leg" in your hot water pipework.

Not any problem but might be more expensive to cure. Lofts are a common place for the problem!

A combi boiler only provides hot water OR heating.

During a prolonged hot water demand it may be noticed that radiators will cool down. Thats normal!

Tony

You might find that a check valve on the cold supply to the boiler will cure it...

Sponsored Links
wot corgi.

this one :?:

ah ah corgi gone now Agile.

Yes, the CORGI has gone now!

From now on its ARGI !

72000_71743_0_8092.jpg

Tony

You might find that a check valve on the cold supply to the boiler will cure it...

a single check valve on the hot water outlet is preferable as it allows for expansion of the heated water in the plate h/exch back down the water main. Or remove the dead leg of pipework.

thanks for all the advise, I'll have the dead leg checked out.

Check the airing cupboard or where the HW cylinder used to be (if you had one), usually the most common place for a dead leg.

Apart from your problem, you do not want any water sitting in dead legs going 'stale' as this could present legionella riska.

I used to have a hot water cylinder and now have taken out the old boiler and cylinder and converted to a combination boiler.

The cylinder used to be in the airing cuboard and there isn't any pipework there now. Anyhow, at the moment the combi boiler is supplying hotwater throughtout the house and only heating to the downstairs rads (this is intended). I have disconnected the upstairs rads.

Its only when I turn on any of the cold water taps and then turn is off, that is when the boilder fan kicks in and switchs off after 20 seconds.

The dead must be somewhere in the cold water pipes, how do you go about removing a dead leg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back