window project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy, got a little time on my hands, thought I would make myself acouple of casement windows to replace old crittall metal ones.I have made windows before but only off the top of my head. I would appreciate some info on where I might get hold of a book that would show the correct techniques to use. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Before you start, I assume you are aware of current Building Regulations regarding replacement windows!

Hi richard, as a matter of fact I did not realise that , not for a non listed building anyway. All the more reason to get hold of some literature then!

A lot of folks make the same mistake only to find out about it when they come to sell up. This will give you a broad overview;

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/buildingcontrol/replacingwindows

There are many guides around but not all of them are accurate regarding ventilation & escape requirements. The DG companies & some local council authorities try to insist you need them when in fact you don’t as long as you don’t make the situation any worse than before. This guide appears accurate but I haven’t checked it in detail! If in doubt consult the B Regs. here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

Sponsored Links
Hi richard, many thanks for the info., will check it out. Do you have any idea where I may obtain construction detail, sizes of wood, correct proportions etc.

Hi richard, many thanks for the info., will check it out. Do you have any idea where I may obtain construction detail, sizes of wood, correct proportions etc.
I feel I’ve done my bit in making you aware of what you need to take care of as far as regs. go. I’ve absolutely nothing against wood & actually have an old fashioned "O" level in woodwork but I swapped camps to steel in my teens & became a professional engineer. I really don’t have the detail knowledge to help you on this, have you tried a serious serch on Google? There are one or two “tree hugger’s” on the forum (& that’s meant in the nicest possible way!) who, I’m sure, will be only to happy to advise; over to you guys! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back