What pitfalls are there when painting finish plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a whole 3 bed house to paint. Yep everything, walls & ceilings. Everything is newly plastered and well dried - in some parts for a year :!:
I have ALWAYS crosslined and lined anything I've painted, but probably because I was covering poor plaster. :confused:

Are there any fundamental reasons why I would not paint the plaster - I will line if it would be better (the finish here is very good). I am NOT looking for a quick makover, this is a top quality project throughout and I need to be able to 'refresh' and sell in ten years time with the finish as near perfect as poss.

I am trade but this is not my field. What would you do? If I paint, do I seal with watered pva or dulux sealer etc. What percentages do I water down, how many coats etc...

I am not looking for the easy option, but the best one.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do DO NOT use water down PVA. Once dry it's like painting over glass and will take more coats.

We always seal with a mist coat of slightly watered down white matt emulsion. Then 2 coats of color.

I also recommend micro fibre rollers, they're expensive but fantastic!! Homebase sell them as do screwfix. No bits, no splatter and a great finish.

I am not looking for the easy option, but the best one.

My opinion: Ensure all surfaces are dry.

If you can make a good job of it ......Size walls and ceilings, with the possible exception of the bathroom because of steam.
Make sure everything's perfectly dry and line it, with 1400 lining paper as this will give it a "warmer feel", then emulsion.

I'm guessing that if you didn't line it, that you'd never be happy with the "bare" walls.[/i]

Thanks so far - Growler you could be right. I tend to be a bit OTT about my decorating and make a point of doing a very good job of lining. (modesty emotion inserted here ;) ) Never having painted plaster, is it actually possible to get the finish I'm looking for. :?: The fact is - I don't know.

I like the look and feel of well lined walls - In my line, I always advise my clients not to settle for anything other than what they are really after.

It will take time, money and effort, but can I get that quality finish (with the good new plaster) without lining?

Thanks again and keep the great advice coming.

Sponsored Links
Noone here can really tell the finish you're looking for. So, why don't you paint one room and see it you like it? if you don't, then you can line it afterwards!

I'm not much good at papering, but I like to paint my walls and bring them to a near-perfect surface. I've always thought that makes it easier to paper them afterwards (and also to clean off when you strip them)

the regular colour also prevents any patches showing through subsequent paper.

:eek: Er perhaps a bit obvious for me. You have a point about painting first to see the result - presumably that gives me no issues later with lining over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back