Extending floorspace over the stairwell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an existing platform in one of my bedrooms which reaches over the stairwell which currently measures about 4'10 x 4'0 wide. I would like to extend this so that I can basically use it as the sleeping space, so say to 6'10 long to take a full length matress.
I would like to know what you need to connect the new floor joists to the wall (load bearing) and generally how one would go about doing this. The wall is constructed out of breeze block and is the main dividing wall (terraced house).
I look forward to any advice re this. Thank you
(I have uploaded a pic of the room and the current platform)

Sponsored Links
Sarah,

You may have uploaded the picture to your account but you haven't inserted it into your thread so we can't view it!

big-all thanks for the link - i should have looked harder.

Sarah - i agree with Big-All - you need to maintain a minimum of 2m headroom over the stairs below so what you are trying to do may not be possible (legally). Without seeing exaclty where the stairs run and where the top stair is its difficult to give a definate answer?!?

Sponsored Links
Hi Andrew, Big All

Thank you for coming back to me, I have taken into consideration the increase in height for the platform (taking into account 2m clearance in the stairwell from highest stair. Although you won't be able to stand on the platform, there is still enough space for a tall adult to sit upright with sufficient head clearance (so long of course that there are no hard and fast rules there or I will end up in the loft space which I don't really want to do. I will utilise the space created under the platform for some sort of storage also.
I trust I have replied in the right place here lol. Thanks for your input re this matter :)

Sarah, no - the only place in a dwelling where the head height is monitored is on the stairs so you can install your mattress as close to the ceiling as you like!!

Assuming the block-work wall you're fixing too is sound you should be able to rawl-bolt a timber bearer to this wall as required and using joist hangers, hang your new joists off this across the gap over the stairs. You may need someone to size the timbers sections for you though to ensure they'll take the load so you don't end up lay on the stairs in the middle of the night :eek: That is - if i've understood your original enquiry properly!

you need to check in the attic/room above to see if the wall you want to break through is load bearing

you also need to check there is nothing in the extension are like banisters or windows!!!

4x2 timbers will be fine for such a small span use joist shoes which fit into the mortar jointon the block side, you haven't said what is on the other side, but i assume it is a stud wall, you may have to provide some additional support on that side to take the joists for your platform, as has already been said you need to maintain a 2m head clearance from the pitch line of your existing staircase.

thanks everyone

I have a much better idea of where I am going with things now :)
If I come up against any obstacles I know where to come.
thanks a million
Sarah :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back