Myson Apollo boiler thermocouple repeated failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a myson apollo boiler and I have had to replace the thermocouple a number of times over the last few years. Anyone got any idea why they would keep breaking?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
replacing a thermocouple is a RGI job, but they do burn out relatively quickly.

Proactively replacing the thermocouple on an annual service used to be the norm.

The honest answer is like light bulbs manufacturers could make them to last lifetime but where is the money in that.
Also too big a pilot flame can burn them out faster
On other types of t/couple they make nickel plated ones that last ages and only cost a quid more but unfortunately they dont for the apollo

Sponsored Links
I have an apollo on my books that burns through the t/c about every 18 months, or did. I now replace it at every annual service as Baxpoti has stated.

Thanks for your answers, much apreciated.

What is generally covered in an annual service and how much do you think i should expect to pay?

Pilot burners aka pilot tops seem to go on these. Might be worth getting a new one and this should throw the right flame onto the T/C. An over-aerated flame burns hotter and eats thermocouples. I often renew the injector while I am at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back