Cold water higher pressure than the hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The water system in my whole house is affected by this, everytime I turn on the water from the tap which is a one hole tap mixer either its very cold or i have to turn the hot by itself and it get really hot, but if i add a little cold water it goes cold because the pressure is too much from the cold water.
Can anyone tell me what the real problem is, and if there is a cheap solution to this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
what is the difference between a pressure reducing valve and a pressure equalising valve?
Also if i wanted to add a pump and thermostatic shower..how would these valves affect the whole system throughout and where should these valves be placed?

thanks for your useful info

place the presure reducing valve as close to the stop tap as possible (to do whole house) or just on the feed to a individual tap if you only wanted that one reducing

adding a pressure reducing valve on cold mains wont affect a shower pump, make sure you position the pump correctly though (check manufactures instructions) normally by the side of hot water tank is ideal place for them to prevent air being drawn in.

Assuming it is gravity hot and mains cold (which sounds very likely, i.e. tank in loft), then really you would need a one hole tap with a dual flow spout (not mixed in tap) or a low pressure mixer tap with non return valves on hot and cold feed. Most taps, unless they specifically say so, are high pressure for pressurised systems like combi etc.
unfortunately most of europe don't use gravity fed systems so a lot of taps (especially in B&Q) are high pressure.

Another fix would be to make the hot feed high pressure by using a whole house pump (should use a negative head pump for mixer) or changing to a pressurised system (unvented cylinder, heat store or combi).

All the options will cost money but the choice would depend on how many taps you would need to replace and whether you wanted to take advantage of the problem and get a power shower and quick filling bath at the same time (pump or pressurised system)

I should warn you I am not a plumber but my advice is still sound.

Obviously there were no replies before I started typing, but I still think these other options are valid and should do a better job, but a pressure reducing valve is certainly cheaper! especially if he wants the power shower anyway

adding a pressure reducing valve on cold mains wont affect a shower pump, make sure you position the pump correctly though (check manufactures instructions) normally by the side of hot water tank is ideal place for them to prevent air being drawn in.

where has the shower pump all of a sudden come into it ?

Also if i wanted to add a pump and thermostatic shower..how would these valves affect the whole system throughout and where should these valves be placed?

thanks for your useful info

here! :LOL:

Obviously there were no replies before I started typing, but I still think these other options are valid and should do a better job, but a pressure reducing valve is certainly cheaper! especially if he wants the power shower anyway

they are valid if you don't mind spending £5000

i want to fit a pump and a mixer thermostatic shower and wanted to know how the pressure reducing valve would affect it and where should it be installed

they were just options and since when did a whole house system pump cost £5000, your clearly a plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back