Painting ceilings that are very mouldy, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning :)

I have the task of painting a bedroom & bathroom ceiling on the second floor of a small one bed house. The white ceilings have dark black mould around the edges, about a foot wide in places & mostly by the windows. I basically want to get the ceilings back to pristine white. I think the tenants are always showering & tumble drying with the windows shut :rolleyes: I'll tell them to have good ventilation in future!
Could someone help me with what I need to do & what paint products would be best for me please.

Thank you!
Boons:cool:

Sponsored Links
Lightly rub it down, paint with pva solution, let it dry then re paint.
But Im only a DIYer.

Scrub the affected part of the ceiling well with ½ bucket of hot water into which you’ve added a squirt of washing up liquid & around five tablespoons full of white vinegar & repeat if necessary; use one of those green kitchen scourers. Leave to dry thoroughly & re-paint preferably with an anti fungicidal bathroom emulsion; I wouldn’t use PVA, the paint won’t cover it very well & it could peel off when it all gets damp again.

As you say, make sure they ventilate the bathroom when bathing & their tumble dryer must either be externally vented or the condensing type; & tell them if it happens again, you’ll charge them the cost of re-decorating! If you can, get fans installed in the bathroom/utility (both required by current building regs. anyway) linked to the light circuits which they can't turn off; make sure you use a Part P spark to install them though.

I used bleach to kill black mould around some windows in my house (left by previous owners...). I left it to dry out for a few weeks during the Summer and then simply re-painted with normal emulsion. It hasn't returned - I obviously ventilate better than the old owners! If I were you, I'd install a fan in the bathroom - although this of course means your tenants would have to remember to turn it on/off.

Sponsored Links
Scrub a solution of four parts water to one bleach over the area and leave overnight...wash off and give the ceiling a couple of coats of emulsion..

DONT use PVA..it isnt a cure all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back