Central heating actuator getting hot and not de-energising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a Tower actuator installed (with new valve also) and ended up having to finish the job myself!! The concern I have is that mains power is removed and switched back on, the actuator sits in its de-energised position and remains cold (as I would expect). When either heating/water/both switch on, actuator activates. All good. However, when both switch off, I would expect the actuator to return to a de-energised state. It doesn't but instead appears to hold its final position and the body gets hot and stays hot. Remove the power and it returns to de-energised state.

It replaced an old Switchmaster motorised valve and I am not sure this is an appropriate replacement. I have a Switchmaster 900 timer (clockwork!).

Should the actuator de-energise when water/heating off and so return to an 'off' state? If not why does it get so hot?

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no it won't unless hw was the last call for heat.
if heating was the last call for heat it will stay in the energised position until hw called for
and yes it will be warm.

Thanks guys, puts me a little more at ease!!

Just to be really clear - even when heating and hot water are both off and system is cold, actuator will still remain hot if anything other than hot water was last call?

Cheers again!

Sponsored Links
thats correct
gros10-1.gif

Excellent - thank you very much for v helpful and prompt reply - v grateful
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back