Karndean / Amtico floor damaged surface methonol drips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help?

I fly model planes and by mistake fuel drips damaged the surface of my kitchen floor. The drips have damaged the polyurathane layer of the tiles and are easily seen. They are not deep but are "more" matt finish than the rest of the surface which shows them up when viewed from certain directions. [Of course herindoors has noticed them]. The damaged areas seem to get dirty quicker than the rest of the floor.

If possible I don't want to relay the floor.

I have searched the web without success. Are there any product that I can overcoat the whole surface to hide the dull drips? Is it possible to repair the drip areas only? Any other options?

I have contacted the original installer of the floor - their only option is to quote for a full relay - not what the pocket wants to hear!

Please help Trevor

Sponsored Links
Have you got the Karndean cleaning kit - it contains a basic stripper and a surface dressing. Its probably worth using.
If you have a spare tile, drip fuel on it and try the stripper and dresser combo to make sure it doesn't make things worse.

Petest67 and Mattysupra thank you very much for your posts.

I have tried the stripper and surface dressing treatment. The drips are still visible. This is because the surface finish of the floor at the drips is matt whereas the rest of the floor is "satin".

Any more ideas?

Sponsored Links
with a few coats it should hide it. If not then you need to replace the damaged tiles. Have you some spare?

mattysupra thanks for your follow on.
I will try another few "local" coats to see the effect. I don't have any spare tiles but I thing the Karndean Moonstone is still current. So I will probably be able to get some. If I replace just a few can the "worn" v "new" tile difference be camouflaged?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back