buildings survey - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking at buying a new build end of mews cottage in a row of 3. Will be getting a building survey done. Any tips on what I should be looking out for or asking the surveyor to pay attention to would be most welcome. Its built in the back garden of an old house that has been knocked downand repalce with a block of flats and some cottages at the back. Its in the midlands. Thanks in advance for tips.

Sponsored Links
to be honest, if your paying for a survey, the surveyor should know what to be looking for so no need to advise them - otherwise, you would be paying them for the privilage of doing their job for them.

In saying that, it will depend on what level of survey you shell out for - a scheme 1 survey is very basic and only looks at the building fabric, no testing of applicances, heating, etc and the surveyor will not explore past any furniture, carpets etc.

if its a new build, is the builder not giving any warranties on the property?

hi Thanks for your reply, iI have asked for a full survey.Does this have a scheme number or something? That I should check with the surveyor? I was worried because their terms of engagement seemed to exclude all liability and everything that needed testing seems to be optional extras unless I specifically ask for it. Is that normal?

It should come with a 10year NHBC , but I don't want to have problems once I move in ,as I know in the current market the building company could go under. It has shared guttering and I presume private sewerage that also is probably shared with the other cottages . Just trying to avoid problems in the future.

If you have instructed a full survey, then it will be that, and everything (of relevance) should be commented on.

If you have certain plans for the property - eg an extension or using a room for a particular purpose etc, then make this clear to the surveyor and he can comment on suitability.

Yes, many surveyors will have lots of worm out clauses. But they should be able to comment on anything within their expertise, and make certain assumptions of things not in their expertise, but within their knowledge/experience. Services will most likely not be included. Don't be fobbed off if they recommend a special damp report - surveyors can comment on dampness.

If you go to a larger practice, then the report may have an element of standardisation. Where as a small practice/individual surveyor will be more inclined to produce a more detailed report

Whatever report you get it should be in plain English with any technical terms fully explained. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if needed.

Costs of any repairs, and estimated life of materials may not be included unless you ask for them

Sponsored Links
woody thanks for input very useful. The firms in the midlands so keeping fingers crossed they come back with something in plain english that a lay person as myself can understand.

woody thanks for input very useful. The firms in the midlands so keeping fingers crossed they come back with something in plain english that a lay person as myself can understand.

surveyor + ^woody^ + "firm's in the midlands" = :?: :idea: £££ :LOL:

If it is a new build then IMHO a full survey is probably a waste of money, the property will have to be covered by a 10 year warranty, mind you this comes from a builder who is pretty sceptical of standard home purchasing surveys. In a domestic survey you can bet your bottom dollar that somewhere tucked away is a get out clause which states something along the lines of "this is only a visual assesment and is only the opinion of the surveyor".
Its up to you but the price of the survey may be a small price to pay for your own piece of mind.

There is a standard clause that engineers and surveyors have to put in their reports, as a requirement of professional indemnity insurance cover, otherwise it's void for that survey. Not a weasel cop-out, there is no choice:

We have not inspected woodwork or other areas which are covered unexposed or inaccessible and are therefore unable to confirm that any such areas of the property are free from defect.

If it's a new property, it will have either NHBC 10 year warranty, or be architect/surveyor certified. Without either, it won't be mortgageable, although the NHBC warranty is just an insurance policy, with all the limitations that that brings.

From someone who used to survey houses for company moves, I can tell you it is an absolute nightmare. You just cannot inspect drains below ground, foundations, hidden services within floors, etc, etc. To do this, you would have to literally dismantle the structure and excavate drains and foundations.

I am now a bit out of touch, but if the builder is a member of the NHBC, then his work is not inspected by the local Building Control officer, as NHBC is supposed to do it, and in my experience their inspections are not as frequent and not as thorough as the Council.

I am disappointed in the NHBC. They are only Insurance Brokers after all.

I suggest you visit the local council offices and go to Building Control, and speak to the person who controls the area of your building. Phone for an appointment first. If he controlled your building he can answer all questions.

I hope I haven't disappointed you, but insurance for a house surveyor is extremely expensive, hence the "get out" clauses.

Beeches.

If you go the NHBC warranty route, you have a choice of either using the LABCO (or any other Approved Inspector) for BRegs approval, or the NHBC themselves as Approved Inspectors. The Ten Year Ted certificate does not confer BRegs approval by itself. Indeed, you won't get the warranty certificate until you have the completion certificate for BRegs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back