main bonding who is right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
a question i am sure u all had thousand times before but when main bonding a gas meter i know it is ment to be bonded at meter or as close as poss.but in some cases this is impossible (unless u go over the roof lol) ie 600 mm.some tell me this rule is golden but some bodies tell you as near as is practicable possible.can anybody define this exactly for me as it seems very confusing

Sponsored Links
544.1.2 - As near as practicable to the point of entry, ideally within 600mm of the meter outlet but before any branch in the pipework.

But, this rule gets stretched too much at times.

Many people say "I just cant get a cable to there", when they really mean "It's too much work and I am lazy".

Personally, the only time I think this is acceptable is when the pipe is embedded in a wall or floor. For example, it was common to have the main stop tap buried upto the top nut, leaving just the knob on show. There is then no way to get onto the water pipe. With gas, you always have a meter, and there is therefore little excuse.

Sponsored Links
tnx for the answers still no hard fast rule then.just wish laminate had never been invented loli am a plumber and when i wire a boiler can take longer to do this and more expensive than changing the xxxxxx boiler

The regulation seems perfectly clear.

And 547-02-02 said exactly the same, so it's been the same rule for at least 17 years....

As near as practicable, so if the only part of the pipe that you can strap an earth clamp around, comes up through the floor either 3 or 30 foot from the meter then that`s good enough for the reg`s .

What does "enter the premises" mean?

Does it mean literally where it passes under or through an external wall, or where it finally emerges into view?

If the latter, then whether it becomes reachable 3 feet or 30 feet or 3000 miles from the meter doesn't matter - that's where you bond it.

Ban, it must be accessible. So if the nearest point is under the floor, then some would argue to bond it where it becomes accessible.

However, I always bond within 600mm and before branch pipework and it has to be accessible.

Many people say "I just cant get a cable to there", when they really mean "It's too much work and I am lazy".

Or, "I'm working to a price and that's too much...."

tnx again for the replys .my trouble is that i bond as near to the meter as i can without having to damage any property and the inspectors keep failing them and expect us to trunk or chase across newly decorated rooms.then say that within practical means is not right and say 600 mm is gospel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back