Ideal boiler won't strike up on either heating or water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
boiler was working fine and is about 5 years old, however noticed the house went very cold yesterday, checked the boiler although there was a noise coming from it the pilot light was not igniting, checked the thermostat overheat button and that seems fine, also checked the pump upstairs and that also is making a whirring noise and seems to be working, I cannot move the lever on the three way valve it seems locked in the heating mode, any help lease we are all freezing

Sponsored Links
Sorry Here we go

Ideal classic ff370, I thought I should add that if I try to use the water heating only, then the valve does move acrross, although it still will not ignite I think iit may be a safety related problem,
cheers

One of the most reliable boilers you can get. Only thing that ever goes on these is the Fan, and even then you can usually get that going with some WD40. You will still get a humming noise from it but it will be seized.

I think you are mistaken with your valve operation. It should be if you put the heating on the valve moves across and the lever becomes slack. If you have the water on only the valve stays in rest position and you should feel resistance against the lever. However as the boiler isn't firing for either I think you will find the problem is on the boiler.

Get a CORGI guy in but I will pretty much guarantee its going to be the fan stuck.

Sponsored Links
Spot on BG Engineer, a bit of WD40 sorted it for me, However the bearings are a bit noisy so I will order a replacement fan assembly, once again thanks a lot for your help and knowledge
cheers

I'm having the exact same trouble with an Ideal Classic. I'm pretty sure it's the fan as I had the same symptoms last year: fan suddenly got noisy, then the boiler died.

Unsure of the model number, I'm afraid, where do I find it? :oops:

But I took the cover off and the fan tries to turn slightly then just stalls. I'm hoping a shot of WD40 will do the trick as I'm absolutely skint. :( Where exactly am I supposed to squirt the WD40? And are there any places to avoid?

If the WD40 doesn't work, I've read on here that it's strictly a CORGI job to replace. What sort of costs would I be looking at in the Selby area for that? And could anyone recommend someone?

if normal boiler not slimline or 100 then ideal part no 171461 takes about 20 mins to replace.
It is normally the only thing that goes on these its a wonderful and reliable wee boiler.
Spray the wd40 on the motor part of the fan and the wee metal impellor just below it.
I would also recommend waiting to let it soak in and the fumes dry up before attempting to light, as I know someone who did this and kick started the boiler fan with screwdriver only for the boiler to light and the ensuing flames were everywhere. (he did use half a can of lubricant though) :LOL:

Thanks for that anecdote, shambolic. :LOL:

I've sprayed some on the motor part and the impeller as you suggested. It does spin now - but I switched off again quickly before attempting to fire it up!

I take it the cover needs to be back on before firing up anyway?

It's working! :D

Fan is noisier than before - but I think that's more to do with excess WD40 than anything else. Will wait for it to settle down. In the meantime, save for a new fan I guess...

I still can't see any model or serial numbers. If I send photos, would anyone like to hazard a guess?

Hmmm. I left it alone for a while, then the fan was stuck again. More WD40 has freed it up again.

I guess this means there's loads of sludge in the fan mechanism that needs cleaning out? Is this a job I can safely do myself or is it strictly CORGI territory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back