Raising floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey , Im looking to install my bathroom myself.

Im a fitter/spark by trade so shouldnt be too much of a leap, problem is the positioning on my bathroom means id have to drill through like 8 joists to fit the waste to double basins.

Instead i wanted to raise the floor level of roughly half the room(2m x 1.5m) to give nice easy pipe run space.

This new level will be supporting a shower enclosure, what will be the best method of raising the floor do you think?

Sponsored Links
A straight forward timber frame covered in 20mm ply then tiled, if needed. The shower tray would need extra support and could be place on concrete blocks laid flat.

Although carpentry's not my game, I think you'll probably get some better advice from some of the other guys here

If the existing floor boards are sound and solidly fixed they can stay down, if they are old and loose then take them up.

Next build a frame from 100x50 or 150x150 depending on what fall you need to accomodate all round the raised area, then fit "joists" within this frame at 400cts (300 under shower)

Cover with 22mm flooring PLY if you can get it, if not 25mm WBP ply will do.

Have a look at this album, pics 4 & 5 show the raised floor part laid, had to get the shower waste accross the room.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Nice, thanks guys, looks straight forwards enough, guess i better get cracking then, also decided to fit some downlights in the edge of the raised platform now too
Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back