Leaking stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a standard 15mm to 15mm stop cock under my sink which looks fine until i close it off. When closed the taps in the house are cut off fine but the stop cock starts to leak around the gland, is this just the gland nut packing because i'm not sure with it being fine in it's open position. must be leaking when i turn it off to go on holiday but must only leak for a while because there's no flooded kitchen when i get back :D i was thinking of trying to tighten the nut or ptfe around spindle or just buy another tap and swap the head gear.

Any advice much appreciated cheers !

Sponsored Links
Before replacing the head gear you should go ahead and pack the gland. If it works you're laughing, if it doesn't it's cost you about 5p worth of ptfe.

yeah cheers for that, going take a look next friday when i'm off, i'd had a look around on the net but couldn't see anything where someone had a tap leaking on when it was closed

Thanks Again

Stop tap leaking in it's off position is most likely the packing gland. No need to wait till friday, it's a two minute job.
You'll need a shifter or appropriate sized spanner, ptfe tape and a small flat screwdriver (for packing down the ptfe)
There's no need to knock the water off at the street. Undo the gland nut counter clockwise, rake out any old packing material with the screw driver. Wind ptfe around the spindle and pack it down.
Tighten the nut back up and away you go.

Sponsored Links
:D not in position to do it at minute she has washer and dishwasher on at minute so coudn't turn off to test no rush but thanks a lot for the advice

19mm & 15mm spanners sorted it out, nipped it up and it's ok, feels a bit better as a tap now aswell. Will keep an eye on it but looks ok for now, thanks to anyone who replied, can't believe how quick the responses come in just trying figure out how to delete a post now as i only registered today and posted twice by mistake.

Thanks again folks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back