Sticky fuel gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fuel gauge in my Proton Jumbuck is pretty erratic. Most of the time its stuck in the same place so I have to rely on the trip meter and the low fuel warning light.

The needle is stuck half way, what are the usual causes :confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The fuel gauge in my Proton Jumbuck is pretty erratic. Most of the time its stuck in the same place so I have to rely on the trip meter and the low fuel warning light.

The needle is stuck half way, what are the usual causes :confused:

Thanks

I have the same problem with a Peugeot 405 diesel estate, the fuel gauge sits at arounf 3/4 full, the only way to get it to move is by doing some heavy braking (making sure there are no cars following)
This gets the diesel sloshing around in the tank and the gauge will usually come down to a correct reading.

The long term fix is to remove sender unit, and examine it, refit so it's not catching.

Wotan

There are quite a few possibilities, including a jammed fuel tank sender, damaged wiring loom, voltage stabiliser, gauge, etc. etc.

You could try disconnecting the wire fron the tank sender and grounding it, and see if the gauge moves. If it doesn't, then the fault is likely to be the wiring or behind the instrument panel. If it does move, I would focus on the tank sender unit first.

My old Volvo 740 (renowned for fuel gauge problems) it was the connections between the flexible printed circuit board behind the instrument panel and the gauge unit mounted in the panel.

Sponsored Links
Back