joining joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building a triple garage 10m by 7m with two rooms upstairs, I had hoped to use attic trusses but we have problems with access as I am building the garage in the garden.I had been advised to use two 8 x2 both 4.8m, ive have been told to overlap these 800mm and bolt through .the two joined will have a span of 8m,thats 7m wall to wall and a 1m cantolever.I will be using 8x2 rafters and the joists will be at 400 centres.
There is a natural slate roof goin on.
can anyone tell me if this meets building regs for the span .

thankyou

Sponsored Links
Seems like you will have a dip in the floor in the middle where these join. :eek:

Who told you to join these like that?

can anyone tell me if this meets building regs for the span
The timbers might, unless the stud dwarf walls are required to take roof load down onto them (probable); the joint is unlikely to work and certainly needs proper design, otherwise you will indeed get the "Noseall sag" and possibly a bit more ;) .

Did your advisors give you any clue as to size, position and number of bolts? :eek:

Why can't you crane attic trusses in over the house? Even allowing for crane hire for half a day (in and up), the cost of a truss solution is likely to work out cheaper than a cut roof solution.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Nose, for some reason I thought that Woody's post was yours :oops:

My eyesight is obviously going....!

does Woody suffer from it then? I know we're all getting older, but I think you could have been more discreet.

No problem at all joining two lengths of timber, google Expamet and check out timber connectors and shear plates

In principle, no there's not - but saying "overlap 800m and bolt together, in the middle of the span" is not really a recipe for success in this particular situation.

lol - someones experiencing a senior moment instead of a bending moment. Best recheck all those other calcs done today. :eek:

And for the record, there is no sag in any of my joints or [structural] members. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back