Wall Scanner Cable / Metal / Wood Detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Anybody got any ideas as to what Wall Scanner Cable / Metal / Wood Detector I should buy having a budget of about £60uk. I have seen the Bosch DMF 10 Zoom Wall Scanner Cable / Metal / Wood Detector but not too sure. Have a pot rack and magnetic knife rack to hang in the sculery-lol-so any help appreciated as to what is best to buy. The items will be hung on a gable end of a kit house (bungalow) which is not a traditional build but kit...so p/board and breeze wi harlin on the exterior
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This topic has been much discussed in DIYnot, as a search will reveal.

A number of people recommend the Bosch DMF10; I have an earlier Bosch detector which works well. However, I'm baffled when I read a claim that a detector can find a timber stud: surely it's the metal fixings in the stud that they find? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

That said, if you're just trying to find studs I'd use the traditional method of tapping for differences in sound, probing with an awl, perhaps drilling trial holes if you need to. The studs should be equidistant, so once you've found one the rest aren't difficult to locate.

If you're checking for cables or pipes under the surface, then a detector is a good thing to have, along with looking at where the electrical accessories etc. are fitted.

Plasterboard and breeze block construction means you can drill anywhere (anywhere you're not going to drill through a cable) and use suitable fixings.

Hi,
Anybody got any ideas as to what Wall Scanner Cable / Metal / Wood Detector I should buy having a budget of about £60uk. I have seen the Bosch DMF 10 Zoom

I have the Bosch DMF 10.
It seems to be totally incapable of detecting wooden studs behind plasterboard.
What it can do however, is detect the nails and hence find the studs that way.
It is also quite sensitive in detecting cables in walls so it is not completely useless.

Frank

Many thanks for the replies and the information. The sockets are just above the worktop and look to be feed in a loop. The only exception being the extractor isolator above the hood which should have been taken vertically from the cooker supply. So very little likelihood that cables on the wall that being drilled. Think I will go with the old traditional method as suggested as give the wall a few taps to located the studs and then measure out.
Again, thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi have a look at this one from Zircon

http://www.toolbank.com/p/C4007/ZIRZ62116

CenterVision technology finds the centre of studs and joists in a single pass so this takes the guess work out of where the center of the stud is. It also detects metal and power Nice piece of kit!

It does indeed look good. Have you (or anyone else) tried the Zircon. I need to replace my detector and would be interested if it does "what it says on the tin"

I have ordered one today, the metalliscanner m40, from York tools.

I will report back over the weekend as it is promised for tomorrow.

It's here !

I have given it a road test on my walls at home and it seems to be doing the business.

This is a metal detector only and identifies studs by picking up on the nail heads.

More after the weekend but first impressions are good. :)

Bilioustrumpstaine
That's great. Thanks for the update and might well consider this from Santa as I have a few jobs from ma lady-lol.
Regards

I bought the DMF 10 as it was going cheap on the bay. Does the job, detects studs OK, a little over sensitive to live wires though, could be a good thing though! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back