stelrad mexico super boiler - not pumping to radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have plenty of hot water but am frozen.

Only the slightest hum from the pump- dont know if this is normal noise.

house was empty for a couple of weeks and now found this.

any ideas please

:?:

Sponsored Links
have you any valves looking like this.

imapo.jpg
or
imagesug.jpg

Sorry
nothing like that

there is what I presume is a red Grundfod pump in the centre with red hot pipe going in to left side but pipe on right is cold.?

sounds like the pump needs bleeding from the large screw in the middle of pump.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

How do I do this please? with boiler on or off? and ios it just a matter of unscrewing the large screw very slowly and letting air out?

turn off place a rag underneath and undo large screw water will drip out replace screw and try.
you can also try pump on faster speed.

Have you got 4 pipes off the boiler? If so it is a gravity HW system and the pump has probably stuck after the summer.

Remove the silver screw as above and insert a flat bladed screwdriver, locate it on the spindle and try to turn. This should free it.

If not try tapping the pump with a hammer. If none of this works, then sounds like time for a new pump.

Hello Dave

will the water coming from the large screww stop running so i can try with screw driver after Ive removed the screw?

As seco says there will not be much more than a constant dribble. Put an old towel under it and a small plastic tub, eg chinese take-away container, this should suffice ;)

Hi

spindle turns freely so does this mean a new pump?

if so, how much would this cost to get done

Are you certain the pump is humming and not coming from anywhere else?

If I was there I would want to test for 240VAC at the pump before deciding a new one was necessary.

If, and a big ONLY IF, you feel competent to test for this then do so with a multimeter. Remember you are testing LIVE electrics. other than that call in a heating engineer.

I have a set price of £141 for a simple pump replacement. This will vary across the country and between different engineers.

hello there

you are right. the humming may not be from the pump.

definitely not competent to test electrics

so will have to get out cheque book

I thank you for your help

You could do some simple checks to see if you can tell if your timer/programmer and/or room thermostat appear to be operating.

Edit;

Also check that your pump hasn't got a seperate switch/fuse near it. A lot of systems used to have this in the past.

Fuse could have blown, or switch got turned off accidentally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back