Double glazing-making good after installation question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in an old cottage (200+yrs) . At the rear there is a Victorian extension, two storey, where the old brick work was so rotten that we had it rendered to seal and waterproof it. The cement (whatever) render is them repainted every 5 yrs or so by yours truely.
The windows are all Georgian style small panes and single glazed in a wood frame. The frames are all OK, no rot, but the render comes right up to them in the window rebate.
Wife keeps muttering about having new d/g units but I am very concerned that whoever fits new d/g frames might well disturb-break-crack off pieces of the render.
If this were to happen then would you expect the installer to repair the render or not. I suppose it would all depend upon what was written into the original contract, but would it be expecting too much for the installer to repair the render in the same style finish ?Inside doesn't matter as there isn't a straight wall/line/corner in the cottage !

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
Just had d/g installed over the last couple of days, and have experienced damage on the inside plaster, but outside looks ok.

Posted and got some useful advice (but given mostly about internal plaster, may not help directly)
//www.diynot.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=153931

If you get quotes then I guess it wouldn't hurt. You can also ask all the questions you need.
It may depend on the company too. We personally chose moderate sized local companies and not large national ones or very small. The quote we found most 'enjoyable' was when the owner's son came to give the quote of a local well established family business. It was not pressured at all and after a couple of previous quotes from other companies, clearly he knew his stuff. I would be wary of salesman just saying 'yes' to secure your business, which I got the definite feeling of sometimes!
But I can't declare to be an expert - only on the receiving end of a few quotes and not fitted any myself in the trade. We are very happy with the results and the company was excellent and they did 12 large windows + 2 doors in 2 full days. So the strategy worked for us.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back