Lukewarm CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 25 year old Ideal Standard conventional boiler and recently the pump went. I replaced the pump with a GRUNFOS 15/60 pump and the new pump appears to be working fine.
However, the pipes into/outof the boiler, all radiators and also hot water are never more than lukewarm even when the room thermostat and the boiler hot water thermostat are put at very high (max) settings.

The boiler turns itself off/on frequently even with the boiler stat on max. value with the result that the water pipes never get really hot.

Could the problem be due to air in the pipes or to a defective boiler stat? How could I tell?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you put the new pump the right way round???
Evidently the boiler is getting hot (so its internal thermostat is making it cycle on and off) but if there's little or no heat coming out of it, either the pump doesn't work (you say it does), there's a vealve shut somewhere or the pump's pumping the wrong way.

The pump was put in with the word GRUNDFLOSS the right way up and with the direction arrow pointing upwards in a vertical manner (same as the previous pump). Also, the lower end of the pump being connected to the pipe coming from the bottom of the Boiler.
I have bled the pump and checked that the pump motor? is free to rotate. The pipes either side of the pump appear to be about the same hotness but, as mentioned previously, not as hot as they should be.

I have bled the whole system about 5 times thinking that I might have an air lock in the pipes but the 'lukewarm' heating/hot water effect is still there.

If a valve is stuck where is this likely to be as I have an open-vented CH system and admit that I am not very knowledgeable about these things!

Sponsored Links
if the new pump has 3 settings on it, like most do, try it on a different setting.

Make sure the isolation valves on either side of the pump are fully open. (turned anti-clockwise)

from reading the post PUMP IS PUMPING UP pump is connected to bottom pipe i always thought the bottom pipe was the return?pump should be other way round if i have read it correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back