potterton promax 24 sl whisting/howling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if anybody could give advice on the following please? we have a promax 24sl boiler fitted less than 12 months ago.the boiler was fine over the last winter and this summer :eek: ,but since turning on the central heating it has developed a really load whistle that turnes into a howl when the boiler fires up fist thing in the morning,it does not do this at any other time only the morning.we had a potterton engineer round but he came at 2pm,and there was no noise :oops: he replaced the gas valve as a matter of course,but this has made no difference,he also said that he would not replace the heat exchanger at all because the plumber that fitted it did not fit drain valves above the boiler and it would take too long to drain the system,is this correct? any advice please before the warranty runs out and it is so load it waking the neigbours at 6am.thanks

Sponsored Links
Have'nt I read about this before?

I would wonder what the installer says about it.

I would have thought the fault would have been the gas valve settings rather than the valve itself. I hope he set it up with a flue gas analyser.

There is no requirement on the installation instructions to fit isolating valves above the boiler although its good practice.

Few boilers that I visit have them fitted which makes a statement about the calibre of many installers! ***

I agree with the Potty engineer although it might not be official policy.

Why not call the installer and get him to fit the valves for you ( free ).

I could construct a legal argument that he supplied and fitted the boiler and its now not working satisfactorily and his lack of good practice has resulted in the manufacturers not repairing it.

I am still not convinced changing the HE will solve the problem. I still think it could be a gas supply problem. I would be monitoring the gas supply pressure at the time the problem occurs! Has the meter regulator been changed or even checked?

Tony

*** Hows this for a nice combi flue?

View media item 5723

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply tony, something else has just struck me,we had a meter change a few months ago,could this have anything to do with it and would the potterton engineer set the new gas valve with an analyiser?

I did not see the Potty engineer so I dont know what he did!

If the gas supply was not properly checked when the boiler was installed then the replacement meter may have presented different characteristics which could be associated with your problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back