Wrong torque settings cracked sump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started to service my 2001 Audi A6 yesterday. I had bought a copy of ElsaWin of Ebay (this is the VW/Audi maintenace manual) On the oil change page it said to tighten the sump plug to 40Nm I set my torque wrench and started to tighten then crack, an inch long crack appears from the drain hole along the bottom of the sump. On this particlar engine the bottom part of the sump is seperate from the main part of the sump and is bolted on. I checked the manual on how to remove this - fairly easy job - I then noticed that on that page of the manual it says to tighten the sump plug to 30Nm (must be a mis-print on the first page?). So now I have had to order a lower sump from Audi (£65 + £15 +VAT for the sealer and gasket). I suppose it serves me right for buying a dodgy copy of ElsaWin but as there is no Hayes manual for this car what can I do?

The page says to tighten the bolts holding the sump to 10Nm, but my torque wrench only starts at 28Nm. Do I need to now buy another torque wrench - bearing in mind the other one didn't do me much cop! Or can I just chance it?

Sponsored Links
40nm or 40 lb/ft?

Just need nipping up, dont really need a torque wrench.

"what can I do?"

Drill a small hole to "arrest the crack. Then, drill, and taper tap, overlapping holes, along the crack. Aluminium bolts would be best. Should be a straightforward and satisfying job and, much cheaper than a new part.

If you've got to take it off to put new one on is it possible to get crack welded? I even had somone come to the house to my xm when the clutch linkage fell apart and i couldn't move the brute, check yellow pages.

Sponsored Links
A good mechanic tightens bolts by feel and experience, torque wrenches are only used where the tightening force is critical.

Wotan

Back