Fence capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished my featheredge board fencing and i have some fence capping, the non re-bate stuff approx 3" wide.

My question is how do i fit it to the fence top, do i fit a battern on the inside edge maybe 1" thick and fit the capping to the battern ??

I guess the battern is nailed from the board side ?

Any tips would be appreciated as i would like to fit the capping since i already have it

Sponsored Links
fix the capping to the batten first, then fix it to the fence, much easier

Thanks Thermo, do i have the same overlap on each side of the feather boards or as i will have the 1" counter rail move it over so the overhang on the outside face of the fence is less ?

The capping is about 3" wide, the boards on their own give approx 0.75 to 1" in width, the counter rail would be 1"

Or is it fitted centrally and the counter rail support more one side of the capping than the other ??

The counter rail is nailed on from the outside featherboard side, does this mean i hold the rail in place with clamps while i nail through ?

i normally nail the back edge of the capping so it is flush with the counter rail. then when you lay it on top it overhangs the front by a little.

i normally fix them with an air nailer, but it should be simple to clamp it on and then nail it through the face of the feather edge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Thermo, final point what size of counter rail should i use, the capping as mentioned is about 3" (75mm ) wide, should i use larger than 1" thick counter rail ? so as to off set my capping more, less over hang on front face of fence ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back