Damp and Mouldy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into my new home about 4 months ago. It is an upside down house (The garage and kitchen are on the top floor with the bathroom and bedrooms on the bottom floor)

After about a month I noticed green mould growing on the wardrobe and chest of drawers in the spare bedroom. The spare bedroom is below the garage and has 3 outside walls to it (1 to the side of the property and the other 2 are under ground).

I immediately bought a dehumidifier but it didnt seem to do much good and I quickly noticed a musty smell. I have been rubbing the furniture down with mould killer for the last few weeks and that seemed to be doing some good. However I noticed this weekend that one of the corners of the bedroom seemed damp so I moved out every dit of furniture that was up against a wall and everything was covered in mould (furniture, skirting board, walls, carpet etc).

I cleaned everything up and even pulled the wallpaper off to see if the mould was in the plaster (which it doesn't seem to be). I then decided to have a look under the floorboards. The floor is damp but not soaking wet but the walls are wet (especially the ones that are totally underground). I also noticed the floorboard that is directly under the damp corner is wet and the support beam is also wet. It is as if the wet walls have risen up to the beam and is starting to soak the beam and floorboard. The only other thing i noticed was the side of the floorboards that are facing the ground have a brown mould on them.

Can anyone tell me the way forward regarding the damp and more importantly the green mould?

Thanks for reading, apologies it was long winded but I wanted to get everything down.

Sponsored Links
I'm still not certain as to the layout, but it seems that part of the property is below ground level?

If this is so, then you have to determine if any membrane or DPC preventing moisture ingress from the ground is defective, or if you have a case of condensation caused by internal moisture condensing on the cold walls.

Or a combination of both

So you may have to get this looked at properly and professionally to determine what the issue is

A suitable independent building surveyor would be preferable to a survey by a damp treatment company - unless you are sure that such a company will be giving truly unbiased advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back