Quick lead/roofing question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Just had a real quick questions...

I'm just building an extension on my house & the roof is on. It is a single story, single pitch away from the house & the roof meets just under the upstairs windows. My question is... how do i finish the lead work at each end where it abut's the house?? do i overhang the side of the extension by an inch & tap it down over the filleting (on the side of the top tile) ???

Also do you have any tips for getting the lead into a wavey tile profile ???

Cheers - Duncan

Sponsored Links
Hi. Run the lead sheet 100mm past tiles, and dress down, don't try and boss it to tight as it will split. As for profiled tile, make sure you do not skimp on the girth, say 300mm, 100mm upstand the rest down roof. When dressing into hollows use a round head mallet and dress front edge back up roof (if that makes sense) you will not get the lead to follow the hollow right up to the wall just the front edge. Remember if you make the first hollow to good you may be there for days getting the rest to match. Good luck

Remember if you make the first hollow to good you may be there for days getting the rest to match. Good luck

he, he, he. :LOL:

i remember only too well the first time i dressed lead into Marley 'bold roll' hollows. as you say J.L. the first goes great, then as you work your way along the roof, the earlier dressings start to lift out of the hollow!

i was back and forth for ages. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Right.... had a go last night & all started well. Disc cut the mortar joint, Cut a 1.5m length of lead on the floor & formed the lip & return bits using lengths of wood... all well so far.

Was told to put some no more nails in the mortar joint so did & then slotted the lead in... still going well. Made some small wedges & tapped in (later found out these we not big enough).

Started dressing the lead into the hollows & without me realising it's pulling the far end out of the wall... makes sense i suppose cause the leads gotta come from somehwere to follow the profile of the tiles. It got dark & I got ****ed off.... the end... haha

I'm back up there tonight.. someones said i should maybe use a blow torch to soften the lead over the tiles ????

HELP !!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi.The introduction of heat is a bit more advanced, setting fire to the felt is never a go start, really be careful the difference between enough and a pool of molten metal running down the roof is small. Its always a good idea to complete the work before pointing the joint, even if using compounds, make sure its wedged well. If you get in a mess with the lead being pulled out in places, carry on, once completed put 50mm wide sheet lead straps down the roof at say 500mm centres (turn the flashing up to do this) cut the joint out again, wedges and alike and simply fit a separate cover flashing over that which is done.( I have just posted a film on you tube showing how to "fitting a front apron" this may help with the clipping)Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back