Engine smoking after oil change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Fiesta MK4 1.3 last week paid £350 for it. It has 65k on the clock and drives very well. I had the oil changed last week (have no idea what was in before that) with 10/40 semi synth and since then smokes a bit when the engine is warm (after 2 miles) the most I have done is about 5 miles in one go.

If I start it from cold there is no smoke at all, then it gets worse as the engine is run. Could this be the old crap being burnt off? The smoke is just normal colour is not blue or black. There is a little mayo under the oil cap but the engine has hardly been used in the past year (it had only done 60 miles since the MOT when I bought it) and this is normal when these cars are not used much.

There is no coolant loss, no signs of oil in the coolent etc, it is too early to tell if its burning oil yet.

Is this normal after an oil change if its not been done for years? My mechanic had trouble getting the filter off as it had rusted onto the engien block but said the engine sounds very healthy there is no knocks, rattles etc.

PS oil level is fine

Sponsored Links
this sometimes happens when changing from an old budget type of oil to a modern, especially synthetic oil.

the best expanation I have heard is that it cleans away old hard deposits, including those around oil seals, thus opening up clogged gaps where old wear exists.

another explanation is that it attacks the oil seals, but this seems less likely to me.

If it smokes on the overrun (when you take your foot off the throttle to slow down going downhill) it is probably just the valve seals and will not cause expensive damage.

if it is an inexpensive car it may not be worth trying to fix it.

check the oil level frequently, with the engine cold, parked in exactly the same place (this is so that any slope does not cause the oil to run to one side and give a different reading), and observe how much oil you are losing. Take care not to top it up above the "max" mark.

You are using 10/40 which is a thin modern oil, check the makers handbook and see what oil they recommend. I do not know your engine but it might be equally happy on a thicker oil that will burn less.

Took it to my mechanic who did the oil change as I discovered it was overfilled. He said he put the exact amount in so it couldn't have been and the the dip ins't accurate. It was smoking like mad at this point.

He said it was just condensation and then checked the water was flowing properly etc and had a could listen to the engine. He said he knew these engines inside out and that if the HG had failed he could tell by listening to it there would be poor compression.

As the car had been stood still for a while until I bought it he said to give it a blast and it should clear up. He said it was a very good engine and he doubts there is anything wrong with it.

So I took it on the motorway with my dad (first time I have ever been on a motorway, I only passed 4 weeks ago).

Anyway got back and no smoke at all. I started the engine this morning at 2c and left it running for 5 minutes, no smoke at all :D. Amazing considering this engine block is essentialy 49 years old :D

All seems fine now, no blue smoke or anything so hopefully no damage has been done to the stem seals.

It is a £350 13 year old Fiesta but its in decent nick needs bits of work doing and I might put two new rear shocks on, they are working (bounce test) but it was flagged an advisory on the MOT.

Sponsored Links
It is a £350 13 year old Fiesta but its in decent nick needs bits of work doing and I might put two new rear shocks on, they are working (bounce test) but it was flagged an advisory on the MOT.

Pleased the engine seems ok after all.

Did they say what was wrong with the shock absorbers? It's amazing how unpredictable and unstable a car can become when a shocker fails. For peace of mind I would make their replacement a priority and if there is any sign of oil leaking from one I would do it straight away.

MOT advisory said "slightly reduced damping effect". How much is it likely to cost for two new shock absorbers?

My mechanic checked them and said it they were find, but he will do the wishbones for the next MOT as even though he thinks they will pass they won't last another 18 months.

They are certainly not leaking, I think the MOT guy just decided they were not working as you would expect a new shocker to behave.

Just got back on a 12 mile trip, I have noticed nothing unusual in the handeling and I know these cars very well as I also drive my dads (identical car). Just pressed the back of the car down and it bounced back once, however I am expecting to replace the shocks before next MOT,

Back