Vinyl tiles over ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to give a quick makeover to the kitchen until we can afford remodeling. I absolutely hate the ceramic tile floor. Could I overlay Vinyl tiles without having to remove them?
would doing this make it more difficult for the contractors to remove when we decide to remodel?

Sponsored Links
It won't make it harder to remove, but I'd remove the old tiles before you put down vinyl tile, and make sure you clean up the floor underneath real good with an all purpose cleaner. If you put them over the ceramic, they'll more than likeley lift on the edges and corners, or just lose their "stick" altogether.

I know people have asked for info on laying Vinyl tiles on ceramic, but i have a kitchen with council Vinyl tiles. the brown thin ones,

But can you lay ceramic tiles on top of Vinyl tiles or will they sweat and crack as i have been told from a freind,

Thankyou to anyone who can help me.

i'm in the process of laying ceramics over vinyl.. its a solid base, clean.. don't see why there should be any problem..

Sponsored Links
thanks. asked a tiler today as i work on a building site. he says if the vinyl tiles have been down for a few years then their should be no problem. but if they are recent then they will sweat and the ceramic tiles will come up,

good luck with the project and i will keep you informed of my results,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back