Arc for curved path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redesigning the garden to "low maintenance" and want to incorporate a curved path.
I have taken a string line to my boundary fence to draw the arc but the result is too curved. How can I scribe a larger radius arc without having the space for the centre point?

Sponsored Links
I dont think you can unless you make lots of arcs & link them. Why not use a hose pipe, lay it out & just keep moving it till it looks good.

Had a similar problem with a curved path down one side of our garden. Drew the relevant piece of arc on a large piece of paper (pieces of lining paper stuck together) where I could get the radius I wanted, and then cut it out to form a template.

Cant think of a way to get it spot on, but how about laying a hosepipe on the ground and doing it by eye?

Sponsored Links
Thank you
Great suggestions. I've triied the hose method and it works, however I want to try the paper template method also for interest and fun.

Thanks again. This is a great place for information :D

Jim

Jim - once you've got the curve right (hose method is good) use sand to mark out (easy to correct) unlike marking spray.

you can do it with two fixed pegs at either end of the arc and enough slack in the string to reach the point you want........difficult to describe but fairly easy to do. have a look on the paving expert site, i think he has some diagrams on there.

As thermo says use 2 pegs and a loop of string round both pegs and a scribe. This makes an ellipse as opposed to a circle but in many cases this is a better alternative as it can be fitted into any size of rectangle as opposed to a circle which fits best into a square.

More good advice - thanks.
emmmm - Thermo, Robert, any chance of an "idiot sheet" for this process? I can't quite get my head around it :confused: :oops:

Jim - like this:
the length of string is FCG. This length can be as big as you like depending on the size of your path arc.

Peg the string to the ground at F & G (focal points on the major axis :cool: )and your pencil (or lump of chalk or your scraping stick) is at C. As you move the pencil AGAINST the string it will scribe the path of the ellipse.

Draw the garden to scale on a piece of paper, draw the path where you want it.

Take dimensions on the drawing to a series of points on the path as you would map co-ordinates, scale them up and mark these on the garden - this gives you points on the path.

Join the points with a smooth curve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back