Boiler coming on without being asked to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Boiler is playing up again, since I am spending more time at home I have noticed that the boiler comes on for around 45 seconds at a time on its own, it does not heat up any rads or water.
I phoned Ideal up to ask them about the waste of gas as this seemed to be happening 4 times an hour, they told me it’s not suppose to and that was all the help they could offer. Has anyone any got any clues on what could be happening?
The controller is in an off position so nothing is sending the call signal to the boiler my boiler is Ideal Icos M3080, I have tried turning down the thermo but really I do not have a clue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have noticed that the boiler comes on for around 45 seconds at a time on its own, it does not heat up any rads or water.
Is it actually igniting or just making a noise?

My boiler (not an Ideal) was making a noise every 20 minutes or so. I checked and found it was not igniting. I eventually learned that it was the fan coming on to remove the combustion products of the permanent pilot light.

Its located in the utility room not very cold, it actually lights the burner as the burner light is on, I can feel the unit and feel that the flame is going. It then just shuts itself back down and to me there is no real reason to do this as it must waste units and units of gas.

Sponsored Links
Faulty room thermostat or faulty time controller?

Turn off power to CH system and disconnect the wire to the CH ON terminal of the timer. Turn system on and see if you get the same problem. If you do, then it is not caused by the thermostat or the CH timer.

On later Ideal combi models there is a DHW preheat which also doubles as the DHW flow detection.

This feature cannot be turned off unless you disconnect the power overnight.

The very latest models have changed the design so that it can be turned off.

Tony

I have tried this with the thermo but not with the timer control, I shall do this just to really rule it out but the boiler is coming on with the timer turned off totally at the mo,

As far as Agile can you tell me what you mean about power off all night etc?

Thanks

Faulty room thermostat or faulty time controller?

Turn off power to CH system and disconnect the wire to the CH ON terminal of the timer. Turn system on and see if you get the same problem. If you do, then it is not caused by the thermostat or the CH timer.

Tried the programmer off as well now and still the problem so something with the boiler.

Hi, I took the programmer off the wall leaving all the wiring in tack, I thought there would be no need to touch the wires if it was connected, should I try disconnecting wires from the back plate also?

Tried the programmer off as well now and still the problem so something with the boiler.
Did you disconnect the lead from the CH ON terminal or did you just turn the programmer off?

Hi, I took the programmer off the wall leaving all the wiring in tack, I thought there would be no need to touch the wires if it was connected, should I try disconnecting wires from the back plate also?
That should be good enough. As you say, the problem must be to do with the boiler itself.

What model Ideal boiler do you have?

Ideal Icos M3080, I have tried looking it up, 4 and a bit years old as this is a new build, always took the boiler for granted at my last place.

That should be good enough. As you say, the problem must be to do with the boiler itself.

What model Ideal boiler do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back