Potterton Promax HE - Will it cut out if pump fails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler and my pump is on its last legs. My plumber has let me down and can't change the pump this week.

If the pump fails while running am I right go thinking my boiler will realise there is no water flow and cut out?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it SHOULD sit there doing nothing. It has a flow switch. but they do stick on sometimes. You could test it by getting the pump switch "between speeds", which will probably stop it.

Thanks. Don't really want to disturb the pump as it really is on its last legs and I don't want to push it over the edge in the cold weather with no plumber for a week.

What are the consequences of the flow switch sticking and the boiler still firing? Would it simply overheat and cut out or could it knacker something?

some banging and crashing before overheat cuts it off and all should go quiet.

Should be able to handle an overheat ok. I would rather risk it than being cold! However I am not staniding infront of the boiler so can only hypothisise :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I am definately going to risk it. I am not going without heat LOL.

I have turned my stat down though and lowered the time it stays on for. Also not using hot water. All to minimise the pump use.

Hopefully it will keep going until the plumber gets round to me but if it all packs in then we will have to have the emergency plumber out because its too cold to be without heat for more than a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back