ideal isar he24 hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had an ideal isar he24 installed for 2 years, with no radiators in house i have been running it for hot water only with no problems.(person who installed it put a 22mm copper pipe in to cheat the boiler into thinking there was radiators, after ideal confirmed it was ok.
recently the flowrate has reduced, particularly upstairs, having to turn bath taps really low to gain hot water.this 22mm pipe started to get red hot so i thought it was divertor valve.
however, this week it is giving next to no hot water at all, goes from cold to luke warm back to cold.but the same pipe isnt getting hot now! no fault codes.burner light goes on then off after thirty secs on constant cycle with slight whirring noise and doesnt seem to have whoosh noise im used to when burner kicks in.not changed anything in house or supply, any ideas?
if it turns out to be a pcb and they r £180, arent i better off getting in bg on a fixed price of £168 parts n labour to fix it

Sponsored Links
i have had an ideal isar he24 installed for 2 years, with no radiators in house i have been running it for hot water only with no problems.(person who installed it put a 22mm copper pipe in to cheat the boiler into thinking there was radiators, after ideal confirmed it was ok.
recently the flowrate has reduced, particularly upstairs, having to turn bath taps really low to gain hot water.this 22mm pipe started to get red hot so i thought it was divertor valve.
however, this week it is giving next to no hot water at all, goes from cold to luke warm back to cold.but the same pipe isnt getting hot now! no fault codes.burner light goes on then off after thirty secs on constant cycle with slight whirring noise and doesnt seem to have whoosh noise im used to when burner kicks in.not changed anything in house or supply, any ideas?
if it turns out to be a pcb and they r £180, arent i better off getting in bg on a fixed price of £168 parts n labour to fix it
sounds to me like your diverter valve diaphram may be stopping the valve fully opening there a funny little bugger slightest bit of dirt and the valve sticks whip it off clean the diaphran and valve set in washing up liquid check for about 10mm travel on the actuator pin running thrtough the middle of said valve head if all looks ok then id take the plate to plate off and check the dhw ports for blockages it could be that the heating is getting hot due to the port being blocked and the excess heated water being sent round the byepass and up your fake rad

Every Isar I have seen has had a Honeywell Diverter valve - no diaphragm?? Is your Plate Heat Exch Scaled or sludged?? my experience with ideal would lead me to suggest the BG fixed price repair, expect them to insist on a £600 Powerflush though!! ;)

Where abouts are you? I might be able to get it sorted for less, have a few friends up there ;) .

Sponsored Links
Every Isar I have seen has had a Honeywell Diverter valve - no diaphragm?? Is your Plate Heat Exch Scaled or sludged?? my experience with ideal would lead me to suggest the BG fixed price repair, expect them to insist on a £600 Powerflush though!! ;)
You are correct about the diverter valve and more than likely the plate is restricted.As for BG insisting on a £600 power flush,thats nonsense(I was going to use stronger language),there are no rads fitted!

problem is not pcb!!
Sounds like diverter is stuck in heating position and cycling round the short circuit hence the loopwarming up and the boiler reaching temp and and cycling on off

The honeywell diverter and the bloody pcb are the two biggest problems on these boilers every parts stockist has at least 20 of each in stock at all time

social housing normally buy up twenty a week for their engineers around here

Your problem is definitely the honeywell divertor and there is no diaprhram in it for you to change,thats red herring from the poster about 96 quid inclusive of vat if i remember rightly

I have a some of the parts mentioned in stock now cos of the reccurent problems with these piles of crab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back