Outside lig Pir wiring please help!

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say? The three terminal blocks seem to suggest that there is also a switch output from the PIR to allow connection of extra fittings. You may have accidentally wired into the switched live output from the sensor, which would lead to the lamp staying lit all the time.

Also, you should trim back your conductors a bit more, there should be no bare copper showing outside the terminal blocks.

EDIT: Just took a closer look, and the terminal on the far left has two wires, whereas the one the live supply is currently wired into only has one outgoing wire. This would suggest that you probably have used the correct terminal, as the extra conductor on the far left is likely to be for the lampholder. Are you sure this fitting is suitable for CFL lamps? Also, be aware that some PIR sensors have an override to keep the lamp on, this is usually activated by flicking the power off and then on a couple of times in quick succession. Try turning it off for 5 minutes.

was the brown joined to the red already when new

The live should join to a wire going to the sensor,then a wire back from the sensor joins to a wire to the lampholder, (possibly the brown and red join)
The neutral usually joins to a wire to the lampholder and also possibly a wire to the sensor , where does the blue one go to.

Tell us what colours go to the sensor and what to the holder

Are you sure it is not on due to test mode when you power it up

Is it one of these
http://www.timeguard.com/product/li...ecurity-lighting/60w-multi-pir-bulkhead-light

Thanks for the quick replies
ok the lamp is used, the wires are as follows:
from the PIR the red wire comes from the pir and into the far left screw, blue wire also coming from the pir goes into the centre and a brown wire also from the pir goes into the far right screw!
then a blue going off the connector centre screw goes to the lamp and a brown from the far left comes from the connectorto the lamp.
from what seems reasonable is the power goes to the pir and once the sensor is activated the sends power to the lamp
I have also tried the live wire with the red wire with the same on all the time result.

Sponsored Links
It seems wired right then
On that website there is an instruction pdf
Read the troubleshooting bit at the end regarding reseting to automatic mode and initial warm up period.

Also turn the time setting to minimum and observe if it goes off then.

apparently you turn the power off and on within a second or two to activate manual and automatic modes i.e. staying on all the time and auto for pir detection, I`m trying this now!
neighbours must think Im mad outside lights on and off several times :LOL:

its not looking good as its staying on still, maybe the pir detention sensor is faulty in some way

Im surprised no ones picked up on this - but where is the earth?? :confused: Has it been cut off? Even if the fitting is double insulated the earth should be present and terminated into a connector. (with green/yellow sleeving.)

hi
thanks for your reply, the instructions say the unit doesn`t not require an earth and the earth wire can be cut back, if the casing was metal then I would of connected the earth to it but its plastic and so no earth anchor unless you have a suggeston! which would like all the replies gratefully received.

hi
thanks for your reply, the instructions say the unit doesn`t not require an earth and the earth wire can be cut back, if the casing was metal then I would of connected the earth to it but its plastic and so no earth anchor unless you have a suggeston! which would like all the replies gratefully received.

As I said...
Even if the fitting is double insulated (as yours is) the earth should be present and terminated into a connector block. (with green/yellow sleeving.)

flingsparks
I do see your point this also concerned me the fact that it could just be cut back hanging if you will, would you think it might be good practise to connect it to connector and tape it back?

Well to no avail the light stays on, I`m thinking the pir is faulty and I should replace the whole unit with a new one.
Thank you all for your direction and advise I will update this post once I have replaced the light
thank you all :D

Might be worth trying with a normal lamp

It may be the low energy lamp causing the pir to not work properly.

Unlikely, but some need a minimum load to work properly

why not put it on a piece of flex and bring it in, indoors, and plug it in.

then put a piece of card over the pir

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back