Fitting cambelt for a Opel Astra 98 1.8L Ecotech engine

Pou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flatmate is helping me out and saving me some cash by replacing my cambelt. I have searched so many sites for infomation and downloaded diagrams but we are still stuck. The belt seems to have far too much slack and tightening the tension does very little. He seems to thing either we have the wrong belt or there is something we have done wrong in fitting it. Could anyone please help?!

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the new belt against the old belt to see if they're the same length?

thanks for the reply. Comparing the two is not possible as the original was shredded to bits. Although the new belt is noticibly wider. Is that normal? Originally they gave me the wrong one which was not long enough. The assured me this is the correct one for an ecotech engine but we're not that sure. Any advice?

thanks for the reply. Comparing the two is not possible as the original was shredded to bits. Although the new belt is noticibly wider. Is that normal? Originally they gave me the wrong one which was not long enough. The assured me this is the correct one for an ecotech engine but we're not that sure. Any advice?

If the old belt was shredded to bits, have you considered that the engine may be damaged?
Unless this is a known safe engine, the valves would have been damaged if the belt had failed when engine was running.
Fitting a new belt to a damaged engine, just won't work.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
It can be worthwhile fitting a new belt even on an engine which usually bends valves etc. as occasionally the valves can escape damage.

So I would go ahead and fit the belt, If the belt appears to long maybe it is routed wrongly maybe on the wrong side of an idler pulley, or the tensioner maybe fitted incorrectly

I think to find a diagram is your answer, try searching vauxhall car forums, or the belt manufactures website

[ hi on most vauxhalls the water pump is also a tenchenar for the belt there is a dedicated vauxhall site cauld vauxhall micanics tecnical support
try them they are very helpful

Back