Airflow iCon 30 Extractor Fan + timer module Not working..!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am facing a problem that my bathroom extractor fan is not working at all when switching on the isolator switch & the only thing that works is the fan shutter, it open & close when switching on/off the isolator switch. I have read the trouble shooting guide & it says that it may be a fuse problem but I don't know where to find the fuse (is it inside the isolator switch or inside the fan housing or elsewhere ?). if any body can advise how to know the problem exactly & how to fix it that will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As the shutter is operating means that it probably isn't a fuse, more likely a kaput fan. Do you have a multimeter?

Although they're expensive, Icons aren't really very reliable. I think on these models the motor is wired in parrallel with the shutter piston, so either your motor is stuck (try spinning it with a pencil) or it is knackered. You may be able to replace the motor with one from a cheaper Manrose fan as I think they are the same type.

I don't have a multimeter. Does it mean that there is some thing wrong with the motor, do I need to buy another one or there is any possibility to fix it. I don't want to proceed with buying a new fan solution until see all other possible solutions (it is really expensive..!!)

Sponsored Links
Although they're expensive, Icons aren't really very reliable.
Bugger; they looked so cool I've got 4 of them! :rolleyes:

Have you checked the internal wiring? You could also try removing the timer module & wiring the fan direct! There will be 3 wires in there (+ possibly a looped earth) so you need to have a basic knowledge & understanding of what each is doing; if your inexperienced I would advise you call someone in.

It's unlikely to be the module as the shutter and fan motor are both on the output side of the electronics. Since the piston is working, so should the motor. I would look at changing the motor first. It may be easier to buy a new fan (without the module) than to try and change the motor.

Although they're expensive, Icons aren't really very reliable.

Why'd you say?

I've fitted a fair few of these, yet to replace one, Airflow are a pretty highly regarded name as well. They're good cos they look smart, which is handy when all the customer can see at the end of the job is the fan itself, and seem to be just about the quietest/smoothest fan you can buy, which is good where you're replacing one mounted on a ceiling.

The only annoyance I've had in 4 or 5 years or so is realising the two speed module requires a DP switch, and it really does cos it'll trigger on very low voltages fed back through the bulb, which is poor and annoying, but can be bodged with a relay, heh. That fans now been running 4 years continuously...

Why'd you say?

I've fitted a fair few of these, yet to replace one, Airflow are a pretty highly regarded name as well. They're good cos they look smart, which is handy when all the customer can see at the end of the job is the fan itself, and seem to be just about the quietest/smoothest fan you can buy, which is good where you're replacing one mounted on a ceiling.

That makes me feel a little better :D; the one in our bathroom ceiling is 2 years old now with heavy use & it’s still fine.

The reason I say is because I keep finding broken ones! Sometimes it's the module, sometimes the shutter spring, sometimes the motor, occasionally the occupancy sensor.

And here's another broken one on this post.

That's just my experience of them though. Obviously others have had no problems with them.

Other brands can fail too!

It's unlikely to be the module as the shutter and fan motor are both on the output side of the electronics. Since the piston is working, so should the motor. I would look at changing the motor first. It may be easier to buy a new fan (without the module) than to try and change the motor.

What about the fuse?, I mean how the problem could be the motor before checking the fuse,I am not experienced but I think that it should be a fuse to protect the motor & if this is the case,where can I find the fuse to check it first?

Also, if I want to connect the fan directly without the module,I have T(Gray),L(Brown),N(Black) cables connected to the module & only two black cables coming out side the module, throw a small junction, connected to the shutter piston then the same two cable coming out from the piston & connected to the fan motor

If the shutter opens the fuse hasn't blown! As you can see, the motor runs directly off the shutter piston and there are no further electronics or fuses to worry about. The only other answer is if the motor wires have become disconnected from the piston terminals. Tis is unlikely though as it is quite a solid soldered connection. You could wire L and N directly to the motor using the small terminal block in order to test it if you like. I think you have the colours mixed up (neutral should be blue, T should be black) so check the colours at the isolator match up to what you have at the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back