Starting our project this year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the architects out 3 times now just coming up with initial designs.
We bought 2 old stables (approx 300 years old). One converted 30 years ago the other is in a state of ruin and general disrepair (wood worm dry rot and damp, also unsure of founds etc)
The plan is to join the 2 buildings together with a glass steel and stone structure over the twin heights.
The major problem is the different levels in both buildings and between them.
My wife is designing a website with photos and plans and a blog etc as we go along.
Here is a couple of photos of how it stands!
do020n.jpg

27zzubc.jpg

67749i.jpg

Sponsored Links
Beautiful! :)

Is that a dove cot in the eaves of the more shambolic one? (looking at the one on the left in the last photo)

Might I suggest installing some more gas flues? Four vents on your roof just doesn't seem to be enough... ;)

Oh, and PLEASE tell me you are restoring those chimneys... :!:

It is a dovecot. There are also arrow slot windows in that side too The flues are actually vents for the waste stacks. I did say it was converted badly. Unsure of chimneys yet as bridges are broken inside. Although we have a lovely fireplace that I have found all the bits for. The cast grate and range the wooden surround and mantle and original tiled and cast centre.

I have posted plans (scanned badly :oops: ) into my photo albums will try to resize these pics a bit better
15nao28.jpg

Here is a taster

Sponsored Links
It must be massive in size.
Will you run a B&B now?

The lighting on the stone is very effective. Is that the hallway?

It must be massive in size.
Will you run a B&B now?

The lighting on the stone is very effective. Is that the hallway?
No B&B just me and the wife amped 2 dogs.
Th stonework is in the lounge with the unnderfloor heating and wood burner.

From back garden showing bifold doors and lounge

C141C347-1240-4B67-803B-345837F4A24D.jpg

Second guest bedroom

0CE7B34D-9329-4516-86F9-BD6CE52F1958.jpg

An inset fire. Hate those things with a passion.
If I owned your home first thing I'd do is rip it out. Not just because I think they look crap but because an open fire would be without a doubt, more efficient.

People fit them because they think it looks cool and modern and something to show off to the neighbours.

The only thing cool about them is the room they are fitted in. :LOL:

Well mebbe I'll sell up and offer him £500,000 to see if he will bite.
About £10k would need to be knocked off for the dodgy fire though.

:LOL:

An inset fire. Hate those things with a passion.
If I owned your home first thing I'd do is rip it out. Not just because I think they look crap but because an open fire would be without a doubt, more efficient.

People fit them because they think it looks cool and modern and something to show off to the neighbours.

The only thing cool about them is the room they are fitted in. :LOL:
eh naw!
It's a 10kw wood burning stove with heat exchanger that also ducts hot air to upstairs. It is also room sealed and has a ducted air intake from roof.
But keep telling yourself an OPEN fire is more efficient especially when not in use letting heat up the chimney. Not to mention the need for a vent too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back